MHCH, 8328 Court Avenue, Ellicott City, MD 21043Saint Paul’s Catholic Church is a parish
founded in 1838, constructed on land acquired from early city settler George Ellicott, and is part of the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Set high on one of Ellicott City’s hills, St. Paul’s is the oldest active parish between Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The north-facing two-story ashlar granite church is three bays wide by four bays deep and it’s front facade includes two twin Roman arch windows – each topped by a rose window – enclosed within a Roman Arch lintel with keystone. The magnificent structure, cited in the MHT worksheet as an exemplar of “American electric architecture, blending the Gothic and Romanesque in its fenestration and entrances with the simple granite architecture so indigenous to Howard County,” is nicknamed the Jewel on the Hill.